Part 2: How To Use Essential Oil Diffusers | 2016
After looking through the best essential oil diffusers & essential oil diffuser reviews, you may now be asking yourself How To Use Essential Oil Diffusers? Essential oil diffusers are fairly simple to use. However, it is important that if you are new to diffusers that you understand the different types and functions and get answers to your questions. That is what this guide is going to do for you. I will provide you with the information that you need to easily operate any type of essential oil diffuser without any confusion and even help with troubleshooting problems. In our experience with testing out various essential oil diffusers, we have found that you will find some highly effective products while others you should not waste your time or money on.
4 Types of Essential Oil Diffusers
- Heat Diffusers
- Ultrasonic Diffusers
- Nebulizer Diffusers
- Evaporative Diffusers
It is commonly known among essential oil diffuser users that neither a heat or evaporative type is as effective as a nebulizer or an ultrasonic. For that reason, we are going to cover only nebulizing and ultrasonic diffusers. Continue reading to learn more about these two different types of essential oil diffusers and how to use them.
A Nebulizer is a high powered type of diffuser. It does not require any water or direct heat to diffuse the essential oil into the atmosphere. Instead, they operate with an “atomizer”, which acts as the heating element. The essential oils drip down onto this heated element and it transforms it into the vapor your breathing in. These types will continuously disperse essential oils into the air of the room they are located in. This makes them the ideal choice for when you are sick.
What Makes Them Great
- Although models vary, nebulizing diffusers can attach directly to the bottle of your essential oil
- Does not require any water or set-up
- Direct drip of Essential Oils releases potent vapor into the air
- You can set a timer for the amount of time you want to run it, a great choice when using one throughout the night
What To Keep In Mind
- Louder than ultrasonic diffusers
- Oils are diffused quicker due to the directly attached function
- Cost a little more than most other diffusers on the market
Ultrasonic Diffusers operate fairly similarly to nebulizers when they create their aromatic mist. What makes these two different is that an Ultrasonic diffuser uses water mixed with a few drops of essential oils in order to make a cool mist of vapor into the atmosphere. What really sets Ultrasonic types apart is that they have dual functionality. They operate as both an essential oil diffuser and a humidifier allowing you to use the diffuser function for relaxing and therapeutic sessions and the humidifier in the wintertime or when you are feeling ill. However, since these types do not directly drop oil in order to diffuse it, the concentration of the vapor is not as potent as a nebulizer. It is also recommended that you do not use any citrus essential oils. These types of oils can cause the internal parts to erode and damage over a period of time.
What Makes Them Great
- More affordable than a nebulizer
- Dual functions as a humidifier
- Wide range of models and brands for you to choose from
- Whisper-quiet operation
What To Keep In Mind
- Citrus essential oils can cause damage
- Water is required in order to use it
- Requires routine cleaning
- Less potent produced vapor than a nebulizer
Essential Oil Diffusers vs Humidifiers
It is easy to become confused between aromatherapy essential oil diffusers and humidifiers. They both seem to function the same and they both produce a form of vapor. But it is important to know that these two devices are separate and different from each other.
Humidifiers Control Your Home’s Moisture
Household humidifiers function by increasing the moisture level in your home. They moisturize the water you insert into them, dispersing it into the atmosphere of the room you have placed it in. Some Humidifiers are built to supply a small sized room with moisture while others can reach large areas of your home. They are ideally used during the winter months when your home can be very dry.
Essential Oil Diffusers Refine Your Home’s Moisture
Oil diffusers operate differently from humidifiers. If there is too much humidity or moisture than the vaporized oils lose their health benefits. Diffusers deliver vapor in a more refined process integrated with the essential oil that you chose to drip into it. These vapors give you not only relieve your congestion but also deliver you the incredible health benefits of essential oils providing you with a therapeutic experience that can relieve stress and sickness bringing you peace of mind.
New To Diffusers?—What You Need To Know
If you are brand new to essential oil diffusers, you may be confused by a few things. Some of the terms used to describe these electrical devices may be unfamiliar.
Here is a list of things that you need to know before purchasing your essential oil diffuser.
- Essential oil diffusers are operated by A/C electricity, not D/C
- A/C means Alternating Current, D/C means Direct Current (which is what batteries use)
- Diffusers completely eliminate lingering odors in your home, they do not simply mask them
- Diffusers are not air filters. They diffuse essential oils into the air mixed with water
- These devices are not air conditioners. Although they do disperse cool mist, they do not displace the heat in the room like an air conditioning unit does
- With a cool-mist diffuser you do not have to worry about high temperatures eliminating the healthy benefits of your diffused essential oils
How to Use an Essential Oil Diffuser
- Take your diffuser out of the packaging
- Unwind the electrical cord
- Refer to your user manual and fill your water reservoir to the fill line with tap or filtered water
- Choose your favorite essential oil scent that you have purchased separately
- Drop in about 2-3 drops of essential oil
- Double-check the amount. Too little will reduce the amount of aromatherapy you get
- Plug in your essential oil diffuser and insert the A/C cord into your designated outlet
- Set your diffuser to disperse vapors at 30-second intervals or continuously
- Enjoy the therapeutic benefits of your diffused oils
- Start by diffusing about 20-30 minutes each day
- Once you have become accustomed to the effects, you can increase how often and long you diffuse
- It is a good rule of thumb to diffuse for about 20 minutes each hour of the day for maximum benefits
- You can also use it the entire day in some situations
Frequently Asked Questions & Tips
Do these run off batteries too?
No. Essential oil diffusers only run through an A/C current from your outlet
How long do these continuously run?
It will vary with each model but typically they will run for 8 hours and then shut off once all the water has been diffused
How do you clean your essential oil diffuser?
Since the oil and water mixture doesn’t flow throughout the device, you can simply drain out whatever is left in the reservoir then wipe it down with a rag
Should I use tap water or filtered water?
Models will recommend different types but you can just use tap water
What size of a room can one diffuser cover?
120ml reservoirs can diffuse oils that cover up to 300 square feet
Are diffusers BPA Free?
The majority of essential oil diffusers that you will find on the market are BPA Free
Can you control the amount of vapor that is produced?
It will vary with some models having a misting nozzle you can control the amount and direction dispersed. With most, you can only choose from a continuous flow or 30 second interval
Do Essential Oil Diffusers have lights?
Models will vary. Some will be made up entirely of a light that may change through various colors. Some only have the power light that shines. All of them can be turned off if you prefer.
Are there any Essential Oils that I can’t use with my Diffuser?
No, you can use any type or scent of essential oil that you desire
And more FAQ’s Essential Oil Judge
Do you have more questions?
Please feel free to contact us immediately and we will respond to your request promptly.
Last updated: 07/2016